Keep Your Home and Family Safe – 12 Tips for Handling Paint Thinners Properly
Paint thinner is a common, yet potentially dangerous, element used in the oil painting and refinishing industry. Many people don’t take full precautions when using it and are at risk of getting hurt or ill if they don’t handle it properly. To ensure safety, it’s important to understand the dangers of paint thinner and take the necessary safety measures. Below are twelve safety tips to consider when handling paint thinner:
1. Always wear safety goggles and a respirator when working with paint thinner, as it emits potentially toxic fumes.
2. Make sure there is proper ventilation in the work area. Open your windows or doors to allow for proper air circulation. If this isn’t possible, use exhaust fans.
3. If you or someone near you experiences breathing problems, skin irritation, or has had contact with paint thinner on their eyes or other sensitive organs, seek medical attention immediately.
4. Never mix paint thinner with other substances, whether liquid or solid. It could result in a hazardous chemical reaction.
5. Keep paint thinner away from combustible materials, liquids, open flames, and heaters.
6. Never eat or drink in the work area when handling paint thinner.
7. If paint thinner or oil-based paint has been used, wear gloves as you eat and make sure to wash your hands with soap and water after using the thinner.
8. Never use paint thinner to clean countertops, floors, or walls. It may be able to damage certain surfaces and adhesives or painter’s caulk.
9. If paint thinner is ingested, seek emergency medical attention.
10. If paint thinner is splattered into eyes, rinse with running water for 10 or 15 minutes and seek medical attention.
11. Make sure to store paint thinner in a cool, dry, and safe place, and keep it away from unauthorized persons.
12. Never smoke in the presence of paint thinner, as it may ignite and cause an uncontrollable fire.
When used properly, paint thinner can be an incredibly useful tool. It can bring life to your projects, only if safety precautions are taken and followed. By following these twelve tips, you can help ensure a safe environment when using paint thinner.