Host a Carefree Summer Gathering with These 13 Wise Pest-Avoiding Strategies
When planning and throwing an outdoor party, it’s important to consider how to keep the party space and guests pest-free. No one wants uninvited pests to ruin a party, so here are thirteen tips and tricks for a bug and pest-free outdoor party experience:
1. Have the outdoor party during the day. Pesky mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn, so playing the party during the day may be the best way to keep these blood-thirsty insects away.
2. Have insect repellent nearby. If the party starts just before dark, make sure to have insect repellent nearby for you and your party guests. Choose DEET-based insect repellent and follow the application instructions carefully to ensure maximum pest control.
3. Try DIY insect repellents. Use DIY-insect repellants like basil, citronella oil, or mint to make sure your guests are comfortable while they’re outdoors.
4. Invest in bug lanterns. Bug lanterns either include a bug repellent mat or attract bugs and then zap them. Lanterns designed to repel bugs emit a smell to keep away pests and those designed to zap bugs use electricity to kill them. Whichever you choose, make sure to match the style of the lantern to the aesthetic of the party.
5. Use yellow light bulbs. Replace any outdoor light bulbs with yellow light bulbs. Unlike regular light bulbs, yellow ones attract fewer pests and insects.
6. Get tiki torches. Setting up tiki torches filled with citronella oil around the party space helps repel mosquitoes and other bugs. It also adds an aesthetically-pleasing ambiance to the party!
7. Use citronella candles. In addition to tiki torches, use citronella candles to keep bugs away from your party guests. Place these candles away from where food is located and light them accordingly.
8. Place food covers. Food covers (in the form of tents or domes) are perfect to keep bugs away from food. Use airtight food containers to make sure those pesky insects don’t smell leftovers.
9. Hang a mosquito net. Hang a mosquito net around any gazebo or sitting area to keep bugs away from your party guests.
10. Keep grass short and trim. Get rid of tall weeds and grass near your party space to reduce insect infiltration.
11. Throw away leftover food and drinks. Bugs and insects will come to the party area if they smell food or drinks. Throw away any leftover food and drinks, and clean dishes right away.
12. Put garbage away. Garbage has a strong smell that attracts all kinds of pests, so make sure to put outdoor garbage cans and recycling bins far away from where your party is located.
13. Turn on a fan. Place a fan near the food or any sitting area to keep away bugs. Even a fan set to low is powerful enough to keep mosquitoes away.
Follow these tips and tricks to ensure that your outdoor party is bug and pest-free. Your guests will thank you and the summer fun will still be had. With a little bit of preparation, everyone can enjoy a summer day or evening outdoors!