How to Create a Built-In Bookshelf Cabinet
Creating a built-in bookshelf cabinet is a great way to add a quality-looking storage and organizational feature to your home. The look of a custom-built cabinet can be expensive, but the actual project does not have to break the bank. To get started, gather up the supplies and tools listed below, and read up on the step-by-step instructions for creating your own built-in bookshelf cabinet.
Supplies and Tools Needed
• Wood (for sides, top, bottom, shelves and molding)
• 2” long screws
• Thin plywood
• 2” long wire brads
• Wall and floor brush
• Supporting pins
1. Measure the wall where you plan to install the bookshelf cabinet. Make sure to get the height, width, and depth of the area. Use your measurements to plan out the design of the bookshelf. If you feel more comfortable, you can also purchase a bookshelf plan from some home improvement stores. Make any needed adjustments to get the true built-in look.
2. Cut the wood pieces according to your measurements and design plan. Make sure to include slots for the vertical supports and shelves.
3. Place the thin plywood against the sides, top, and bottom of the cut pieces. Secure with screws.
4. Place the cabinet case against the wall where you plan to install the bookshelf. Use the wire brads to secure the cabinet case into place.
5. Drill holes inside the walls of the cabinet where you plan to mount the shelves. These holes are for the supporting pins that will hold the shelves in place.
6. Paint or stain the bookshelf cabinet with a color that will blend in with the walls for a truly built-in look. Using wall and floor brush, apply the same color of paint to the top and bottom of the shelves.
7. Insert the supporting pins into the holes in the cabinet walls. Slide the shelves into the slots.
8. Measure and cut the molding that will go on top and bottom of the shelf. It should match the molding used in your space. Paint the molding the same color.
9. Attach the molding to the top, bottom, and sides of the bookshelf cabinet.
Your bookshelf cabinet is now complete! Make sure to check the level of the cabinet and make any needed adjustments. Lastly enjoy the look and organization of your newly installed built-in bookshelf cabinet!