19 Proven Steps to Keep Pests Out of Your Home This Winter
Millions of people across North America must take into consideration the impact of the cold winter season on the safety and security of their homes. Pests, such as rodents, insects, and spiders, can wreak havoc on your home and property if they manage to find a way in. Dealing with a pest infestation can be a nightmare, and some people may even have to engage in certain activity to attract them away from the home. Fortunately, there are things that can be done to abate the risks of having pests invade your house this winter. The following 19 tips will help you pest-proof your house and keep your home safe and secure over the winter!
1. Plant durable winter plants or provide some seeds to bait animals away from the home. We can provide food for wildlife on the outskirts of the property to attract them away from the house.
2. If you have a bit of property, create natural protection from pests by constructing brush piles well away from the home.
3. Keep your kitchen counters and floors clean and swept/mopped/vacuumed regularly. Don’t leave any residual food as this can attract ants, mice, and other unwelcome guests.
4. Clutter provides plenty of hiding places for pests, so make sure you avoid stacking paper or paper products near walls to reduce their chances of nesting around your home.
5. Place strong-scented plants, spices and herbs, such as mint, eucalyptus, basil, vinegar, cinnamon, and lavender, around the house to repel spiders, mice, and other pests.
6. Use sprays, oils on a cotton ball, or fresh herbs to deter pests by creating strong scents.
7. Find and fill all the gaps, cracks, or holes that can provide access from the outside into the house. Mice can get through holes as small as a pencil eraser!
8. Pressure wash the house in the fall. This will help remove the grime that built up over the summer, and knock down stink bugs, spider webs, nests and hives.
9. Keep the wood pile away from the house by storing it in a barn or other existing building. Stack the logs between trees some distance from the house.
10. Rake up leaves and put them in a large bag, then put them in the green waste or compost pile.
11. Check for spider webs and hives around the inside of your home.
12. Place rodent traps in areas with high concentrations of pests.
13. Keep an eye out for and tidying up any rodent droppings.
14. Maintain your yard by eliminating potential habitat and food sources for pests.
15. Check the holiday plants, such as holly and fir, for any pests seeking shelter after dark.
16. Install window and door screens to further reduce the chances of any pests entering the home.
17. Make sure all of your doors, windows and other openings are properly sealed and caulked.
18. Clear away brush piles, woodpiles and other debris piles near the home.
19. Inspect your attic, walls and other areas regularly for any signs of pests.
Pest-proofing your home can save you from an immense amount of hassle and potential damage. Even the smallest of precautions, such as maintaining your yard, can make a big difference to your home and its level of security. Take action to protect your living space from pests this winter, and you will be rewarded with a safe and tranquil environment for your family.